Sunday best: My fall capsule

I’ve been thinking about Fall, wrestling with needs versus wants. This season has so many trends right up my alley, I feel like I want everything — unusual for me, given my “capsule” approach to wardrobing. Simultaneously, all my wardrobe basics are in need of replenishment.

It’s always useful to do a little inventory-taking before deciding what you need to buy. My closet is kept pretty minimal, so I know what’s there. Even so, there’s always some sweater in a drawer I’ve forgotten about, or a sale purchase made at the end of the season that really hasn’t been worn yet. I cleaned out my closet on Friday night and rediscovered three pairs of boots that have never been worn. I tried them on and loved them, then immediately delisted the shoes I had wishlisted for fall.


Separating the staples from the seasonal (trend) purchases also helps with decisions about where to spend. I’m in love with the suede fringe thing right now. But instead of forking out big on it, I grabbed a Zara purse. Similarly, the (faux) shearling vest was an affordable something I stumbled into at TNT while trying on hats. Still, typical of me, even my seasonal purchases tend towards classic: Buying an Aran right now feels trend-driven right now in terms of timing. But I know it’s a purchase that will endure even after that moment has passed. (And as if I could buy an Aran from anywhere but Ireland).

But the bulk of my time, money and energy will go into replacements for everyday things. New layering tees (likely from Everlane), underwear, jeans etc. New trainers too, since I’ll walk to work for as long as the weather permits. And since a winter coat will be worn every single day once the weather kicks in and will (hopefully) last a few winters, this will be my biggest investment of the season.

Products: Vest from Velvet | Frame Denim jeans from Net-a-Porter | Pieter Dress from Aritzia | Earrings from Satomi Kawakita | Boyfriend Aran from &Daughter | Santal 33 from Le Labo | Suede Fringed Bag from Zara | Belt from Gucci | Hat from Club Monaco | Underwear (bra & knickers) from Net-a-Porter | Max Mara Coat from Matches | The Row Pants from La Garconne | ATM Tee from Matches | Gloves from Club Monaco | Nike Trainers from Net-a-Porter
Related Posts with Thumbnails