Home, lately

I've always been a nester. And for a long time that has meant caring about decor, thinking about my style, looking at design blogs and magazines and seeing stuff; stuff I loved, stuff I could or couldn't afford, things I could fill my home with.


I don't want to pretend I'm over that, that I'm immune to fantasizing about Carl Hansen chairs or gorgeous accessories. But I want to explain that the way I feel about home has become so much bigger than the sum of those parts. I love my home. Not because I think my decor is special. Not because I look at it through "design" eyes.


I love my home because it holds so many things that I treasure, because the light on weekend mornings always makes me pause, because the plants on my windowsill seem so happy. Because friends gather here but moreso because it's often just me and I feel safe and calm here.


I have friends right now whose lives are in flux. They're moving and starting over. I can, of course, relate to all of that. But liberating as the fresh start is, exciting as all of that potential is, I can't help but be glad for the roots I now feel, the sense of place that underpins everything. The pure steadiness of this idea of home, steadier now than any decor whim or daydream. Steadier than my own mutable ways.

4 comments:

  1. Jane, not that long ago I suffered from wanderlust. If there was unfilled space in a weekend I would scramble to take off on an adventure. But now I too get such immense pleasure from my own home. I enjoy plumping the pillows, watering the plants, arranging a new bunch of flowers. These days it takes something special for me to commit to a weekend away. Home HS become my refuge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like your own home. Nothing. Like. It. I treasure home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently moved back to TO (my hometown) and just as recently (and fortunately) discovered your blog. It's a comforting combination of old home-meets new home-meets much needed inspiration. So, thank you for the latter! I spy radiators in your photos that are the mirror image of mine (ah, old apt buildings). As silly as it may sound, I wonder what your experience of them is in winter? Are you able to control the heat (or perhaps dampen it?) by the knobby-thingy on the side? And does your lovely plant life migrate to other surfaces then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline - welcome back to TO! There's a knob up inside the bottom of my radiators and I can adjust the heat (righty tighty, lefty loosey). I leave most of them low / off because there's so much ambient heat in the floors and walls. And the plants stay where they are (they're not on the rads, but on the window sills).

      Hope you settle in nicely. It takes time for sure, be gentle & patient with yourself!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.