Moisture surge

Yes, the polar vortex has been brutal, depressing, endless. It's also done such a number on my skin this winter. My usual routine of careful cleansing and minimal, meaningful moisture and ample sun protection was not what this winter called for. Razing arctic winds left my face, lips, hands, elbows, legs dry, itchy, sensitive and irritated.

I watched Lisa Eldridge's SOS video and decided to give Avene's Skin Recovery Creme a try. Within a week, my face was my own again. From the same video, I also tried La Roche Posay's Lipikar Baume AP. Admittedly, I've always felt that my biggest problem with body moisturizer is the discipline to apply daily. But this stuff is really great. Anything that makes my upper arms feel so smooth gets big points.


The other products shown here have been included in past round-ups, but they were used in much higher rotation this winter. I don't know if I could live again without Lip Slip by Sara Happ (for those in Toronto, I get this from Gee Beauty). It is the best lip balm out there, and the prettiest... one of those products I buy for my friends because I feel so evangelical about it.

Rodin's Olio Lusso is usually a bit rich for my skin, but this winter I'd sometimes apply it before a bath as a mask almost. Similarly, Nuxe's Huile Prodigieuse is for those evenings when you have time to sit around letting something work its magic. I've also been spritzing a bit of it in my hair since I went blonde, just for some extra scalp and hair nourishment.

Finally, I'm at last including Egyptian Magic. I've used this product for years now. When I'm patient, it's the best hand cream out there (when I'm impatient, I use L'Occitane's Shea Butter on both hands and feet). Sometimes I use Egyptian Magic as an eye cream, an elbow cream, a cuts and bruises balm, a cuticle cream... all of this despite its hilarious branding, which says a lot.

As always, my recommendations come with a big asterix: We all have different skin and yours might not respond or react to these products the way mine does. I nearly always get sample sizes before I commit to a full-size product - it won't prove efficacy, but it at least gives you a chance to see if you like the smell, texture etc. and to rule out a sensitivity.

Products: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Illustrations done with Waterlogue.
Related Posts with Thumbnails