Friday!

It's Friday already! I was sure I would blog more this week...

It's been so lovely walking to and from work most of this week and that novelty is still taking hold. At the same time my former life in Don Mills seems like such a surreal and distant thing. Memory is such a tricky thing. Yesterday can seem farther away than something that happened years ago. Ten years of steady routine can recede faster than one standout day.


My wreath was made and hung on the door last weekend, the first of the Christmas cards were sent and received, the year fast coming to a close. And I find myself disinterested in the gift guides and the wrap-ups, even the best book lists. I guess it's that time of year when it all seems like too much churn, too much grabbiness. And I sometimes see my own grabbiness in it too and it becomes anathema to me.

I'll be spending Christmas this year in the mountains. These mountain paintings by Conrad Jon Godly really evoke those early memories of living in the mountains. I wonder sometimes if I miss Alberta because I've been missing that feeling of being swept off my feet.

There's something beautiful to me now about opting out of the city for Christmas, of watching snow blow off a peak behind a frozen mountain lake and holding my friend's baby, wee Marcel Bourelle, in my arms. I'm counting the days!

Have a happy weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I hear you, the gift guides on every. single. blog. are getting really overblown, and so few things actually seem that new and exciting. I sort of prefer a more minimalist approach to the holidays. The mountains sound like a lovely place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous paintings by Godly! Enjoy the snowy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing? I love how dense the paint is falling off the canvas.

      Delete
  3. Seriously, that is my dream Christmas. I will be living vicariously through any photos you take! :) I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Australia Christmas is hot and sticky and so your descriptions of snow blowing off the mountains is tantalising!! The simplicity of your wreath makes it beautiful - I love it! Enjoy the time, the space, the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm not sure I could cope with a hot Christmas (I'm not built for high summer!) But I hope it's very lovely and you enjoy any time off!

      Delete
  5. I remember being younger, and feeling like Christmas in my little prairie town was all about people slowing down, and trying to be kinder to each other. My mother loves this season because to her it is about light, about the end of light leaving and the beginning of its return.
    Such simple things, really, and easily lost among the black friday/cyber monday madness (so aptly named, maybe).
    Good luck finding your peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. Yes, it's nice to enjoy the simpler undertone of the season. It really is quite magical still, the way time changes around the holidays.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.