New York adventures

Every time I go to New York, it's for the theatre. It's always a whirlwind, but I think New York will always be a whirlwind for any amount of time. You see a fraction of what you hope to, glance off a bit of art, maybe pop into a favourite shop or two.

My biggest recommendation from this trip is to always travel with a food writer. Laura made all the food decisions and, as a result, it was the best food time I've had in NY! We had an amazing meal at ACME, delicious brunch at The Spotted Pig, transporting vegetarian Dim Sum in Chinatown. We stayed at The Jade Hotel and enjoyed it there so much, though not one taxi driver had heard of it!

And, despite the go, go, go, there were moments of easy delight. Walking around Dumbo or the West Village, popping into John Derian (I brought home two new pieces), picking a few rooms at the MET and relaxing in Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie (this has become a repeat visit for me, a place I love to go each time).

The play was wonderful. They landed firmly on the vaudeville side of Beckett, a deliberate decision rather than an accident of delivery or of audience. I do like my Godot played with more evenly distributed weight between tragedy and comedy. But still, this was a special production with two wonderful actors — the second act especially enjoyable.

So much undone though! New York always leaves me with that feeling, wishing I could have met people there, lingered a little longer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails