Friday!

It's been a while since I did a Friday post, but I have some links to share with you this week.

First, Kevin Barry's Paris Review interview. This, I loved: "My suspicion is that feeling escapes from people and seeps into the stones of a place."

And page 22 of the new Five Dials cut me to shreds.


I loved this Irish Times article about a swimmer (and the video here, which is as Gaeilge, but gorgeous). This woman exudes a lovely wisdom:
"Describing her love of the sea over lake swimming she talks of her difficulty in finding “the pulse of the water – there’s no heartbeat in the lake”; on the challenge of ice swimming she describes building her courage as “everything is as life allows”; and of managing anxiety she explains that “you can’t swim the fears of tomorrow”."

Helen's blog post (the last paragraph!) and tweets have me missing my past life in the mountains. These paintings too.

But even here in Toronto there are moments it cuts through. And our city's scandals can't counter the beauty of the moon this week, waxing each day to fullness. Last night, I left the office and walked in that strange suburb, just to keep eye contact with its friendly gaze. To bask in the pink halo that encircled it, to feel my limbs loosen and my head clear.

And this, this too. Read it right to the end. To have such grace.
"I had gotten to walk with him to the end of the world. Life – so beautiful, painful and dazzling – does not get better than that. And death? I believe that the purpose of death is the release of love."

Have a gentle weekend, friends.
Related Posts with Thumbnails