Sunday best: Black and pink

For years, my childhood bedroom had wallpaper with flower fairies on it. I loved it when it went up, but I remember Mum and Dad mumbling that I would outgrow it too quickly. I was on the threshold of whatever age that is when childish things become embarrassing, I suppose. They were right, of course, and in no time I was sick of the patchwork of fairies alighting my walls.


It started in one corner. Perhaps a piece of wallpaper got scraped by furniture. I started to pull. And soon my mind was bent on destruction. But ours was not the kind of household where you could stroppily demand a bedroom be redecorated. Besides, I didn't want to ask. I had a feeling that would break the idea I had. I worked in stealth.

It was the 80's then and all I wanted was for everything to be pink and black. I had one of those furry pencil cases. It was pink. And I hung L'Enfant poster inside my wardrobe door. I took myself to the paint shop and bought a sample pot of pink paint and tried it out in a secret spot behind my dresser. It was the colour of marshmallows. I might have painted some other things with that pink paint too. Perhaps I took it to my cassette holder.


Mum and Dad must have noticed the smell of paint, even if it was only a Dulux sample pot. They probably laughed and shook their heads and tried to delay the inevitable work. Eventually, the fairies came down and I got some abstract, textured wallpaper instead. I never really got the pink and black room in my head, but I rallied and moved on.

And nowadays I nearly always wear black. Yet pink sneaks in. And when it does, I remember that room; the flower fairies so forlorn in the end. The swell of an independent idea, the eager strain of not needing to ask for something.

Products: Red Roses by Jo Malone | Lip balm from Rodin | Nail polish from Chanel | Dress from Gillian Tennant | Wallet from Mulberry | Anchor bracelet from Saskia Diez | French cotton net bag from Kaufmann Mercantile | Lauren flats by Chloe from Net-a-Porter

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, I love this outfit. I wear black almost all the time too, but sometimes I like to add a pop of color, and it usually is pink. hope you're having a beautiful sunday, darling! xx carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you had a lovely Sunday too! xx

      Delete
  2. I ADORE this tale of sneaky baby Jane! And of course this board is 100% perfect. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tale, something universal in it. I too love black with hints of pink and adore your choices. Pink ballet flats always bring on a tint of childhood nostalgia. I know if would get them dirty in 2 secs, so I always buy black ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I love these ballet flats too. Toronto is pretty clean for the most part, but I always put one foot on the other when I'm sitting! Bad habits...

      Delete
  4. Ha! I can't imagine you with a furry pink pencil case!

    Just say the word if you'd like a mesh market bag - hemp yarn is just the ticket and I have several patterns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I have layers, Laura. Layers!

      Thanks for your sweet offer - I might just take you up on that!

      Delete
  5. Black and (blush) pink are a beautiful combination!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.