I got home yesterday evening, walked into my apartment and immediately unpacked and then went for a walk. Toronto never looked so lush to me as it did on the drive from the airport, nor so clean, nor so much like home.

I said before I left that every trip home is different. I keep waiting to lock into a stable relationship between here-home and home-home, where I can move from one to the other with predictable results. But I increasingly think there's too much constant change on both sides for that to happen, for me to strike some kind of neutral ground. And why should that be the goal anyway, don't I also go there to feel deeply and to somehow "measure" myself against my own past, against roads not taken?

I slept long and languorously last night, my own bed the simplest joy of all. Today I'll find my feet in familiar joys, my flower market and coffee shop. I realized while I was away how much of me there is in my routines, how I've come by them on my own and love that I've carved out these small ways of belonging. It's good to be home.

Some links for your weekend:
- I wish every fashion shoot was so supremely human as this one spotted over on Anabela's blog
- "We are increasingly understanding that attributing obesity to personal responsibility is very simplistic" - an interesting read over at Aeon
- Holidays tend to make us bloggers think more about the act of blogging and social networking and how it affects our thought and creative processes. “Does articulating a thought in public freeze it in place somehow, making it not part of a thought process but rather a tiny little finished sculpture? Is tweeting the same as publishing?” - over at The New Yorker, via The Millions
- Also "I want to retreat from the world and think and write in solitude. At the same time I wouldn’t mind a few readers knowing I’m out here being all mysterious." also on The Millions
- Compare and contrast: This piece by √Čireann over on Necessary Fiction on printmaking: "Showing up, day after day, made the community stronger. It made my work stronger. It made my work as a process visible to me. It also (no surprise) increased my skills. It gave me time to think about writing outside of the desk-classroom-workshop triangle, and confirmed my sense that my best writing happens in concert with other work, especially work that uses my body."

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Related Posts with Thumbnails