Sunday best: Colourfully

Colour has been creeping into my life a little more lately. Just small ways, mostly temporary - nail polish and candles, flowers of course. I think I'll always be mostly colour-shy.


You've seen me connect my muted ways to the palette of Ireland; it's misty greys and greens, it's churned sea. And it isn't that I've lied about that, but it's not the entire truth. Because every time I'm home, I'm also overwhelmed by how much colour people inject into this muted palette. While I lie happily in its shroud, they go to war and assault this peaceable backdrop with their fuchsia pinks and brazen yellows, garish greens and zealous blues.


So, my little colour adoptions remind me a little of home in that way. And, of course, I'm thinking about home today anyway. So I thought I'd share some colourfulness, an antidote to plastic and tinsel green on this bastardized holiday.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig. Happy Sunday!


Products: Green by Byredo | Tippi Pleated shirt dress from Toast | Snake stud earrings from Ariel Gordon | Satin lip pencil from NARS | Eric purse from Mimi Berry | Swedish Hasbeens from Madewell

Other photographs: All my own.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday Jane. Beautiful photos much needed on the chilly day.

    Erin go bragh.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am smiling seeing this picture up top. We really do gauche so well don't we! What puzzles me is that these houses at one point were actually quite lovely. Take out the enthusiastic paintwork and that god awful - but inevitable - bungalow in front, and this would have been a simple well built row of houses in harmonious muted grey tones with well proportioned, pleasing wooden sash windows - all no doubt replaced here with pvc - another Irish obsession - that and pine furniture. I should stop now Jane - I didn't intend to hijack your post with my own ramblings - but as always, you got me thinking.
    Hope your day was full of peasant shades of colours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I always have mixed feelings about all those bright colours. Part of me loves it, the shock of colour. And, of course, another part of me wants everything subdued and seaweedy.

      PVC and pine furniture made me laugh! It's funny... I think there's such a beautiful style at the heart of our folk tradition, but our concept of modern and urban just seemed 'effed up.

      Delete
  3. Love all that cheerful color, especially that shirt dress. Drool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.