An escape

I'm not very good, sometimes, at recognizing signs of stress or exhaustion in myself. I tend to keep pushing even when I'm showing signs of wearing thin. And then, when I come crashing down, it's usually a surprise to nobody but myself.


But on days like today, when my soul needs soothing and my body is rebelling against the very idea of going on, I understand the importance of taking a break. And I know this will be a fleeting thing and tomorrow I'll launch myself back into work and forget the moment today when I thought about saltwater and mountain air as the things I can't go on without.


This beautiful holiday home is in Somerset. The pictures alone soothe my soul and I'm posting them (likely in vain) to remind myself to not be so reckless with my own well-being. But, for now, just the fantasy: Shall we go? Let's go.


Images from Unique Home Stays.

14 comments:

  1. Oh please take me with you! I'm planning a small escape to the beach sometime soon, so I'll take you in my pocket Jane.

    It worries and upsets me that you're having a hard time at the moment, take care of yourself. Not that I'm doing any better, so sigh.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it! Imagine, we could bring a stack of books and just hang out - wouldn't that be lovely!

      Delete
  2. I can't do without mountains or the ocean, either. It's hard to be away from the landscapes that you love so much. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same frame of mind as you today. This made me heave a huge wistful sigh. I think I'll take some time with my British Country Living magazines this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are a lovely "virtual sanctuary" — so calm and soothing. I hope you'll be able to get away very soon to soothe your mind and your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle - I'm mountain-bound at the end of April, so that will be fun!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful.

    Yeah, resting up is something I forget, too. In fact, right now I'm working from home because my 'cold' turned into walking pneumonia and I'm infectious. Delightful.

    These are a lovely break. Also reminds me to make myself breakfast in bed this weekend with a good magazine. Dammit, I can at least do that for myself, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Alice - I hope you're recovered now!

      Delete
  6. Yes! I would love to get away... I think I'm going to pretend I'm away, and put away the phone at least. I hate my phone sometimes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just discovered your beautiful blog thank you for writing it. And reminding me to be more grateful as the holiday home you are wishing for is very similar to my house and I get to live here all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you!!

      I'm glad you like my blog - thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.