Sunday best: Straining forward

I can't write any more Sunday bests conjuring the magic of snow days. It's gone.

Instead, imagine this: A warm day. The last of the snow leaving a grey spine of ice down the middle of the road, until it too melts. A day when the sun climbs high and warms the ground enough to evaporate every memory of snow. The same day you decide - although it's too early, still too cold - to wear a cardigan instead of a coat. To wear flats without socks.


And it doesn't matter that you're cold all day. Nobody looks at you strangely, because the entire city is collectively straining for that day when winter can be mothballed in plastic bins that are stashed under beds and in basements. And every little act, no matter how premature, is license to rush towards the birdsong of spring.

And it all sets off a chain reaction. You dip down into the ravine or the park for the first time in months. Spring starts to unfurl before your eyes; a verdant flame alights on the end of every branch. Each week is meted out with a new flower; snowdrop, daffodil, tulip, cherry blossom, magnolia, hyacinth. You dream of lilac days.

Products: Rose Noir parfum by Byredo | Bianca dress from Steven Alan | Poudre Signée de Chanel from Chanel | Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil from NARS | Georgian Flaming Heart Ring with Rose-Cut Diamonds from Erica Weiner | Brompton mini-hobo from J.Crew | Lanvin shoes my own (past season)

20 comments:

  1. I am aching today, struggling to continue pushing forward. And this was a small solace for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! I love this.

    Also, the delicate pattern on the dress is beautiful.

    Happy Sunday and here's to looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice - this dress would be incredible on you, I think!

      Delete
  3. Sigh, so beautiful. I can't wait. I only hope that when that moment comes that it lasts forever. I know that's not how time works, but imagine...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I hate about myself that I'll soon be complaining about the heat too. I wish we could live in those threshold seasons forever.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful... we still have half a metre of snow - spring doesn't come until march here, and then achingly slowly. But you described that first day when you feel the weather change 'permanently' for the warmer absolutely perfectly. And a gorgeous outfit as per usual :) One day I'll be able to try that perfume...every time I see it in these posts it catches my eye and I think..one day! haha
    All the best for your week ahead.

    Sera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - we have a few weeks yet. It feels neverending!

      That perfume is my "signature scent". I love it!!

      Hope you've had a great week.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful piece of writing! I love your choices--the hints of soft pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a dress Jane! You make me dream about warmer mornings, longer days and short spring thunders :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be a reveling thing to actually watch the changes of seasons a few times in a year, that there's a feeling of change in one's being for every season turning.

    I love the shoes, so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rouenna. It is lovely to watch the changes and they do mostly come just when you're craving them... it's all impossible to fathom and then it arrives!

      Delete
  8. The end of this winter will bring something glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you must be so sick of the snow and cold. But I am so sick of the heat and humidity. Yet, we're sort of wishing for the same things at the moment, if for different reasons: Wishing to wear a cardigan? Yes. Wishing to wear closed flats? Yes. Please hurry up and change weather.

    By the way, that dress is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the high seasons are very hard on my Irish skin and body... I'm built for much milder climes too. Come July I'll be moaning about the heat.

      Delete
  10. That ring is fantastic - has your name all over it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.