Sunday best: Quiet

My weekend has been quiet. I've been leaving music off; I can't seem to find the right songs to listen to right now. And though I can sometimes hear what neighbours play, it's dampened by walls that keep the silence within.


February's the start of spring at home, but not here. And squalls still swirl outside my building, always falling upwards outside my window. Is this the lowpoint? I never seem to remember past years. But people seem most splintered right now, with jagged edges of cold, and eyes like cut glass, hard and cold and beautiful. Or maybe it's just me and the splinters are my own...

I bought roses yesterday for my bedside table And I've been rereading Middlemarch and other old favourites, dipping into things, putting them down. The days are soft on the inside and in my dreamless sleep. The hours are hazy. I know the light is stretching now. I can see it, but I don't feel it yet. It all feels a long way away. A sort of dream I don't know if I belong in.

Products: Middlemarch by George Eliot | Antique and Pale Pink Hat Box from The Real Flower Company | Calendar by Rifle Paper | Pyjama from Toast | Løv is Beautiful tea from Løv | Boulder mug from Terrain

8 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time concentrating this weekend. Overstuffed schedule, high stakes deadlines, and too much coffee. Music is a distraction. The only sound in my office is my timer ringing at 15 minute intervals.

    Enjoy your roses and George Eliot...that sounds like the perfect quiet Sunday morning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. February is a "floating" time for me, a sort of dead centre where I lose the ability to recall the rich scents of fall or imagine the light breezes of spring. It's the perfect moment to immerse myself entirely in books and movies, to chose which colours to apply to this chilly blank canvas. (Middlemarch is an excellent choice!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty accurate account of February for me too. Hope yours is calm and immersed in lovely things.

      Delete
  3. I've been rereading Middlemarch too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I have to get some cute pyjamas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding it hard to concentrate as well this week. I have such a long list of things to do yet I find myself going from one project to another, one TV programme to another, trying to find something I can settle on. I managed to break through the foggy feeling that had settled on my day by going for a walk in the cold, but sunny park behind my building. If only every day of February had weather that allowed me to do that, I think the motivation would arrive a lot quicker than it does right now!

    I hope you had a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.