Friday!

I'm glad to land on Friday.... Not the most graceful landing ever - it's been quite the week - but here I am. Still, I did find some moments of thought, inspiration and even beauty this week:


Kevin interviewed Beckett's publisher John Calder. The accompanying photograph by John Minihan (who famously photographed Beckett too) made me almost as happy as the interview. I especially liked the part about longing for something you've given up on. I think that's a beautiful contradictory state to live openly, and without real hope, in.

Hayden's new album is streaming on the CBC (it comes out February 5th). I'm not sure if it will stream outside of Canada, but it's worth a listen, or purchase upon release. I probably listened to it too much this week. But I am prone to shrouding myself in music like that and not fully understanding how it might affect my mood until it's too late. Still, so beautiful.

This piece in The Walrus about how women are written about by men is important to read and consider, I think. Somewhat related, the mad descriptions of skin (via The New Inquiry a few weeks ago). Also this - ugh.

Being a mad, bad moonchild, I also love Lauren's regular moon posts.

Okay, I'm spent. Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, no. That new Bell Jar cover is so disheartening. The vintage cover is incredible design-wise, why mess with a good thing? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I think it's the worst on this whole history: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/01/a-50-year-visual-history-of-sylvia-plaths-the-bell-jar/267227/

      Delete
  2. Hello!
    glad you found and enjoy the moon posts!
    have a beautiful day, L

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Hayden album is so good! A slow-burner, get a couple songs in and it gets amazing. Thanks for another great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. He's a favourite of mine!

      Delete
  4. Those moon posts look cool. I bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Bell Jar cover is bloody awful. So awful that I wrote about it today too. I also read that piece you linked about how women are written about when you shared it on twitter - thanks for that, it's an interesting read. I used to love reading music articles in magazines, but I stopped because I just couldn't handle the way female singers/artists were written about. All this fetishistic fawning over body parts and skin - it's bizarre and oddly dehumanising, not to mention objectifying. I remember thinking time and time again: what the hell does somebody's skin texture, or hair, or breasts, have to do with their music and art? Same thing applies to actresses. Reading that article, coupled with that ridiculous Plath book cover, just depresses the hell out of me - we're still just objects, aren't we? And people say we don't need feminism anymore ... right, whatever.

    Okay, rant over. Hope you rest up and feel better this weekend Jane! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing those links! I found Carly Lewis' article to be absolutely on point, and have a new favorite bookmark in The Sphinx and the Milkyway. Your good taste is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you had a lovely weekend.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.