We find our glow

With all its early optimism, January is a long and dark month. I crave turf hitting an open fire and sending up its sweet and musty sparks, the cast iron of an AGA radiating glow from its belly. The coal man, coming around the back of our house, an avalanche of sacks slung into the bunker, black dust rising. The smell of it tight in the shovel and scuttle, and the glowing brass a chiaroscuro. And the waft of a match struck and a wick lit, crackling a little, burnt off leaving beeswax and forgotten flowers hanging in the air.


We all take our glow where we find it. And there must be something to all this; that no matter how insulated and warmly-dressed we are, how much air thumps its way through our pipes and radiators, the sight of a flame brings a more certain sense of warmth and of safety. I find myself craving it most in January with its brittle air and salt-stained floors, its blue light and wall thin whispers.


Happy New Year!

1. Walnuts Farm | Sweater | Candles | Sconce | Wallpaper | Gerhard Richter candles series
2. Gerhard Richter candles series | Ring | Pyjama | Candle | Mirror | Saipua flowers

16 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Jane. What a title. Happy new year to you!

    (The other day I drove past the flower markets and almost hoped I'd see you there, picking out your next arrangement...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too!

      If you ever see me puffing my way up the hill, I insist you stop! I'm so often there, and at Seven Grams too. I love that coffee shop!

      Delete
  2. I've never smelled coal as far as I know, but your first paragraph made me feel like I was right there in that little world you created. Just lovely. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that the snow finally arrived in Toronto (and has lingered white and soft in our front yard). January is a tough month, and I feel like I've been dumped rather unceremoniously on its front steps. I am still searching for my glow. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Erica. I hope you find it. January can be cruel.

      Delete
  4. May I come and spend January with you? You make it sound awfully cosy.

    xo Jane

    i miss you mucho on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I sortof miss it too and sortof loving opting out.

      I'm afraid you'd find it pretty bleak up here. We conjure the glow for good reason. The world outside is hard and splintered.

      Delete
  5. It's so strange reading this during a killer heatwave in Perth, sitting in front of the air-conditioning in my shorts :) I'll take metaphorical comfort in the fire's glow.

    Happy New Year Jane, I hope for good things for you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. We live in Florida, for now, and crave the chilly, crisp, and sometimes, downright frigid air. All to get cozy inside with a good book and a cup of tea...and maybe that orange-y red sweater! -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year, Jane!

    I love reading your remembrances of Ireland and your flair for details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could I borrow that sweater (maybe in a green)? :) Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post for a new year. It is funny how the end of the year comes hurtling towards us and then January feels like a complete reversal. I never felt that until I moved to this part of the world. There is something to the dark Winter, for sure.

    PS: Love that sweater.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.