Friday!

I grew up with winters like a wet dog sitting in your lap, grey and sodden and sinking into your bones. It's a grim feeling, all muck and wet wool, warm bodies squeezed into damp spaces.

When I moved to Canada, the first winter was a thing of wonder. I had never seen icicles hanging off buildings, though I had drawn them as a child on impossible houses. I found my body had reactions for handling the cold that I had never known. I reveled in those bright and brittle days.

We've had a cold snap this week. And I feel the pain of it - I can't seem to get moisture back into my skin and my lungs hurt when I step outside. I'm tired of wearing snowboots, of breathing through my scarf and walking on salt-stained sidewalks

But I still love winter on these clear cold days when it gets way, way below zero. And I like how we insulate ourselves and become so insulated. On the bus people stay hunkered down inside hats and hoods and mitts and coats. Conversation is muffled and eyes narrow to slits. Minds seem strained on finding the shortest distance between two points and speeding up the getting there.

And it's all I remember of my week, the wrapping up, the hunkering down, watching my own slow exhale and then watching others do the same thing. Yesterday evening a low moon hung over my bus stop, an ice-blue shard in the sky.

It will be full on Saturday.

Happy weekend.

16 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read such an accurately observed description of how winter cold affects us here in Canada!
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has turned much colder as well, and we are expecting some snow this afternoon. I love that winter's harshness sends us toward otherwise forgone comforts. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the way you write. Just found your blog and I like it very much.
    I love snow in winter, but here in Poland, we usually have grey skies and rain. But now, for 3 weeks we have a beautiful snowy landscape (well, cityscape...)outside the windows. Yes, keep warm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linn - glad you found me.

      Stay warm too!

      Delete
  4. Love, love your description of the Irish winter. It's like that now, with a very real wet dog to boot.
    I loved the crisp bright cold days of our 'big freeze' in 2010 but I'm not sure I could cope with snow day in day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very different here than when it snows in Ireland - much drier and mostly clear skies. But yes it does take some getting used to. I would miss it terribly now if I didn't have winter though!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. That's all I can say about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Even when I have wrapped myself and the kids in layers of winter accessories, one step outside and my nose, fingertips and bum seem to instantly rebel. My two boys, however seem impervious to the cold, like only children can be. They missed the snow last winter and have yet to build a proper snowman or roll a snowball. This cold snap has retained the little snow we do have, but I would appreciate a great dumping of packing snow to top off their winter wonderland.
    My hope for you this weekend is that you find a warm little cafe where you can escape from your cocoon of winter coat, scarves and hat and enjoy a coffee and a friendly chat while the snow falls gently outside the window. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody. I found myself at my favourite cafe yesterday and remembered your comment. It wasn't snowing, but I was happy nevertheless. I hope you're having a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  7. I could only dream of clear cold days (because I live on a tropical climate) but I always love reading your posts about the weather because of its rich imagery, I feel like I am as close to it as I can be.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rouenna! Have a lovely weekend too.

      Delete
  8. I don't think my body is even capable of understanding this kind of cold, because I've never really lived in it. I can, however, tell you many tales of extreme heat! That has a way of seeping into your bones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised! I lived my entire life between 0 and 20 degrees Celsius and then moved to the Rockies where it could get as low as -40.

      The heat, however, I have a much much harder time with. There's no consolation for me in the heat. At least in winter, you can put on more clothes!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.