Friday!

I love lists, and I hate them. I think they help give me structure and set my mind at rest, plus they can be a flight of fantasy. Lists of places I want to go, furniture I want to buy, lists of things missing in my wardrobe, lists of pantry essentials. Titillating stuff, and I'm not even being sarcastic.


But I also have fantasies about open concept spaces, without direction, structure, imperatives and, ultimately, guilt. A list-free existence (not to be confused with a listless one). However, committing to not making lists is like that part of the yoga class when the instructor tells me to clear my mind and I instantly start thinking about what I want for dinner. And so that might be an illusion anyway.

But today is about lists in a good way. It's a listy time of year, you see. Oscars and all that jazz I couldn't give a fig about. But, there are some more up my alley and here are a few I read this week:

- 3AM's list of awesome 2012 stuff
- Every week, Jessica's Read.Look.Think list, where I read some timely advice this week
- And The Millions 2013 Book Review list, which I have to inhibit at a certain level if I'm hoping to get any writing done
- Thoughts and links to beauty blogs
- And you know already I like inspiring women, so I like this (growing) list of awesome women from Maria Popova and Lisa Congdon

Happy clicking and happy weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the lists, Jane! (I am also a list person.)

    Another beautiful image, by the way. Also yours, yes? Love the light and those bare branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's the cemetery close to my home that I love to walk in.

      Delete
  2. O dear god. I went to The Millions 2013 book review list and read feverishly thru March. Then I took a deep breath and came back here to thank you for the link.

    This out to keep me occupied for a while.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jessica's READ.LOOK.THINK., it's one of the best things out there.

    I'm a prolific list-maker, sometimes I think it gets out of hand, all my lists. The idea of a list-free existence goes against my nature I think, although I do sometimes think how great it would be not to need them.

    Happy weekend Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the best things out there.

      I went list-free for a while when it felt too much like self-flagellating and I learned that I don't really need to make lists for "should" things, but only for reaffirming things.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane, got jet-lag and can't sleep so really enjoyed reading thru your links. Brilliant Tillman story. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a list maniac. I've been trying so hard to be more spontaneous, but I always come back to my lists. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.