2012 Resolutions

I've been thinking about my 2012 resolutions! I feel like what I've landed on are more tweaks than anything else. 2011 was a good year for me and I want to build on that rather than raze things and start over. Still, there are things that I want to put some effort around.


1. Save pennies. I completely hate thinking about money, but it is something that also stresses me. I dread my computer dying, a sudden necessity to fly home. These are not things I want to toss and turn about. Ever.

2. Try new recipes. I have so many cookbooks full of delicious recipes. And yet I mostly find myself cooking familiar favourites over and over. Even when I eat out, I hone in on the same thing. Of course, I'm allowed to have favourites, but I want to try new things too and not just read food blogs and think how good everything sounds.

3. New skincare regime. This is half inspired by Lisa Eldridge's videos (part 1 & 2) and half inspired by an excellent consultation at Gee Beauty. I'm trying a new regime that is much more gentle and protective. As part of this, I'm going to try to wear sun protection every single day.


4. Add strength to workouts. In 2011, I worked really hard to get good at working out (even when I have a bad attitude about it). I do cardio and yoga pretty much daily. Although there's strength in yoga, I'd also like to add a few resistance workouts to the mix in 2012.

5. Travel to exciting places. Literally and figuratively. I'm not sure yet if 2012 will include another trip to Ireland, but I definitely want to go west to the mountains this year. Travel always butts up against saving goals, but my recent trip to New York was a surprisingly inexpensive treat. And I very much hope to have visitors in 2012 too; secondhand travel also counts!

6. Have fun with friends. It probably tells a sad story that this needs to be a resolution. But when things get busy and I'm feeling reclusive, I turn down a lot of invitations. I need to balance all of this out. I love my alone time, but good company is a salve too. And my reflex reaction to invitations is not always the one I should go with.

Are you making resolutions this year?

Image credits: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

13 comments:

  1. I'm still coming to grips with another year ending... I like how simple this list is and it makes me realise that I have a few of these things mulling around my head right now anyway. I don't usually make resolutions but tend to think about what's been done/achieved at the end of the year instead. Maybe that's backwards, but, whatever works, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a wonderful list, and so many of your resolutions are very similar to my own. thanks for sharing, jane.

    p.s. that gold piggy bank = love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I see your picture I always think what beautiful skin you have, so if you've found products to make it even better, do share.

    And yes do add weight training to your workout. My whole life seems "lighter" as I get stronger.

    Now I need to bring back the yoga.

    I just want more down tome or the knowledge of how to make my available time more productive. And yes, productive does include naps.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane! Thank you so much for introducing me to Lisa Eldridge! She is brilliant and life-changing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really have any resolutions but I might adopt some of yours! Saving pennies, strength to workouts, and travel are all great things to do.

    I wish the Canadian edition of Plenty had that nice cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your resolutions sound great and very achievable. My main resolution for 2012 will be, as always, to write more. I have to have a think on the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made my resolutions yet but I have started to mull them over. I'd love to be able to do some exercise each day but it would mean getting up before 6 am which seems so unlikely. Maybe I'll try and start be just doing something small each day - liking taking the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! I haven't really thought about my resolutions for 2012 yet but in general, I'll try to live and enjoy life more intensely than I did this year. 2011 was a brilliant year, but I want to concentrate more on the small things of daily life. I want to be aware of the wonderful people and places around me, discover new recipes, books and landscapes. I want to relax and have more time for myself.
    After writing this comment, I've got at least one resolution: Life intensely, in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got them in my head and will be writing them down tonight. One is to make -and stick to - a budget. Another is to entertain at home more. Your list is great and inspiring. All the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really into new years resolutions but I think yours are all pretty good ones! Rather than make a list of resolutions, I have been compiling a mental list of everything I need to complete in 2012... Oh it is going to be a big year!

    Happy new year!
    Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes New Year's resolutions can be too abstract for me so this year I got specific with my resolutions. Some are; Buy a credenza for my dining room, Design 5 prints to sell on etsy, Frame 5 drawings to be hung in my house, Ride my bike 10 minutes a day

    So instead of saying the dreaded "lose weight" I'm hoping my specific bike goal will help with that but in any case if I don't lose weight I succeed at my resolution if I ride my bike everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "And I very much hope to have visitors in 2012 too; secondhand travel also counts!" Well, that is lovely!

    Though I set my intentions/goals/resolutions on my birthday in May (it's the beginning of my year after all), your list has inspired me to make at least one change for this new calendar year.

    Wishing you a healthy and joy filled 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.