Embracing orange

Six months ago, if you had asked me what colour I was least likely to don, orange would have been top of the list. So it was a cruel test of my resolve when I recently held an Epice scarf with orange overtones up to my face and realized it's a colour that suits me.

Since then, orange has been creeping into my consciousness more (in this and this post, for example). I suppose it's my gradual way of accepting the colour into my personal spectrum. The key for me in adopting a colour is to learn to see it as classic, nearly neutral. So, I've learned to differentiate neon orange (which I still dislike) from tones closer to burnt sienna, pumpkin or rust.

I've been looking at art too. Because art always helps reverse my entrenched mindset when it comes to colour. And while I will never be a Flaming June, I can see myself adding a rusty cardigan or sweater to my Fall collection. And I've come to love how this hue sits next to charcoal grey and navy, especially... Maybe I can learn to love orange yet!

Products: J.Crew sweater | Roksanda Ilincic Silk-organza tank | 3.1 Phillip Lim silk crepe de chine dress (all Net-a-Porter) | Hermes Cape Cod PM Watch | Mulberry Polly Push Lock | Nars Cha Cha Cha nail polish
Painting: Lady in Red (1932) by Wilson Irvine (via)

Products: Raquel Allegra Cable Knit Cardigan (Totokaelo) | Mociun Gem Necklace Carnelian | Toast linen pullover | Roksanda Ilincic Condor gown (Net-a-Porter) | Le Pégase d'Hermès scarf | Laura Mercier Ambre Rose Lip Glace
Painting: Flaming June (1895) by Frederic Leighton (via)
Related Posts with Thumbnails