Rosemary Carr

For a girl who spent most of her twenties in raptures over abstract art, I find myself increasingly drawn to familiar landscapes. I wonder if memory is overtaking my need for unfettered expression. Art that summons something from my past has a hold on me these days.

And I have to confess, I'm having perhaps unrealistic ideas about what I might acquire when I go home, but I think a little canvas of a familiar place might be a special treasure to find. I find myself thinking about the sea, of course, but also about the muted tones of bog landscapes. These paintings are by Rosemary Carr from the Kenny Gallery.

I have to laugh. The palette that I think is so uniquely "me" is basically what Ireland looks like much of the time!


9 comments:

  1. once someone told me: we are what we've lived and maybe that's somehow true !

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing to compare to the feeling of looking at a piece of art and feeling the emotion of the place flow out of your memory. One of my middle school teachers always complained that people too often bought art because it matched their sofas and not often enough bought art that moved their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these landscape paintings are amazing! lately i've been more drawn to art like this as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bogs also hold a special significance for me. I'll never forget my first grade field trip to the cranberry bog or subsequent summers spent bicycling down the honeysuckle path, stopping only for a lazy picnic by that same bog where I would swallow large gulps of--what else--cranberry juice that quite possibly originated from the very spot I was perched upon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the texture -finding an artist's work that makes the very fibers of your being some how stand up and take notice, very little can compare. that last one reminds my of the always very early morning treks from dublin across the midlands. ive seen some stunning pheasants in the fields in those predawn hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours and the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! reminiscent of Monet's palette, Van Gogh's texture and Matisse's line?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been much in love with the natural colors of the Pacific Northwest, and Seattle (other than the gray rainy days!), yet that's where I spent most of my life! Sometimes I wonder "where" my color scheme comes from- and where I'll end up!

    Beautiful paintings- they're like fond memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.