Inspiring women: Edith Heath

I think many of you know my fondness for Heath Ceramics, my aspirations to own a full set of the Coupe design line. You probably also know that when I fall for something, I fall for more than the label. I love interesting provenance, creative makers and risk-takers. I want to own stories as much as 'stuff'.

Edith Heath attended Teachers College in Chicago, believing she wanted to go into education. But when she took art education, she found her passion lay in being an artist. At the San Francisco Art Institute, she transitioned to ceramics. Heath founded Heath Ceramics in 1948.

Heath was known for creating distinctive ceramic dinnerware and architectural tiles. She was the first non-architect to win an American Institute of Architects Gold Medal for her architectural tiles. Architects Frank Lloyd Wright, Eero Saarinen, Alexander Girard, among others, specified her tiles in landmark projects.

Heath Ceramics was purchased by Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey in 2003. In addition to original designs, new designs are created in the spirit of Edith Heath's original vision, making this a vibrant and evolving brand. Edith Heath's "Coupe" line remains in demand and has been in constant production since 1948.

Heath Ceramics website
Book: Heath Ceramics: The Complexity of Simplicity

Image via Heath Ceramics
Related Posts with Thumbnails