Inspiring women: Vera Neumann

It's funny sometimes how you can absolutely love a designer who isn't really your style. I have a small collection of Vera Neumann scarves, and I wear and adore them. But I would say they're definitely some of her more subdued designs. I'll trawl through tens to find one I love for myself.


But, even the majority are not my style, I'm always enchanted by her designs, by her use of pattern and colour and the vivacity so apparent in her work.

In a time when we're used to wonderful home textiles and accessories, it's possible to underestimate the role Neumann played in the democratization of design. To own a Neumann scarf or table-cloth was to access design in a manner that was previously impossible or, at least, severely limited.


And, I suppose, that even though I sometimes love to hate Anthropologie, it is consistent with this spirit that there's a Vera collection available there. Though I think I'm happy with my little collection of scarves and this book, full of her inspiring designs painting.

Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon

The Vera Company
Shop for Vera Neumann on Etsy

Image credits: Life portrait via this blog / Vera book via this blog
Related Posts with Thumbnails