Wunderzeichenbuch

I was completely transfixed by the images from the Wunderzeichenbuch (wonder book) in October's World of Interiors. These images of celestial bodies are equal parts fancy and scientific record. My favourite is one that portrays a comet with an arm wielding a sword. 

Stephanie tweeted this Werner Herzog paper 'On the Absolute, the Sublime, and Ecstatic Truth' last week and I read it on the weekend. With my head full of thoughts of the sublime and its relation to reality and these struck me as perfect illustrations of that tension beautifully exploded.



Images from World of Interiors, sourced via

8 comments:

  1. LOVE these images. They are so beautiful. I study book arts and am constantly amazed at how much used to go into the book. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I am such a sucker for early books. Can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing. The details are something to marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so amazing! not sure if you know or not from my blog, but i love astronomy and so i loooove these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are incredibly beautiful!!! i love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link :) Because of it I discovered your blog too.

    I'm a big fan of The World of Interiors and I think it is one of the best design magazines out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I've scanned the photos. But this is just for saying :) It's not necessary to put it between other comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.