Capsule wardrobe

I blogged before about my uniform, but it's evolved a little in the last year. This is my touchstone when I'm shopping and looking at magazines. I know no matter what I buy, what I wish I could fit into or look good in, these are the clothes that I actually wear.

The quest for perfection in these categories is an ongoing one. Each season, I search the new offerings looking for a new iteration of these favourites, for better materials, more ethical manufacturing and better fit. And when I do occasionally splurge, as long as stay I within these confines, I know I won't regret it. Honestly, if I look at my closet today, the pieces I regret, that I feel uncomfortable in or that I've just never worn are those that fall outside of my capsule wardrobe.


I wore a uniform for 16 years of school, so I'm sure you could tell a psychological story here. Though, unlike many schoolmates, I find that wearing a uniform is liberating. In a way, it lets me opt out of the perpetual new trend-lust cycle. And, I feel like I can spend more because I'm buying less, which is important to me for ethical and style reasons. But now... I'm really curious about how you shop: Do you have a uniform that's "you"? Is it your be all and end all, or just your jumping-off point. Or do you find the whole idea dreadfully boring and only ever shop a la carte?

Column 1: Chinti & Parker @ Net-a-Porter / Loeffler Randall (past collection) / Bodas / James Perse / TOMS shoes / Column 2: Erdem @ Barneys / Belstaff @ Net-a-Porter / Calypso / Shopbop / Column 3: Bloch / Toast / Hugo Guinness @ John Derian / Vince @ Shopbop / Column 4: Furla (past collection) / Linda Penwarden necklace / Claddagh ring (gift) / J.Crew / Hanky Panky / Converse / Column 5: James Perse / LemLem / Bensimon / J.Crew
Related Posts with Thumbnails