Francesca Woodman

I was out walking last night and thinking about photography and the place I used to go in my head when I took my old k1000 out for a walk. I started missing the slowness of film. How it taught me patience and to live with uncertainty. With digital, I'm so focused on the result, on the image on the screen, on capturing what I need to and moving on and capturing something else.


When I got home, I dug out my old darkroom portfolio and then I pulled my favourite photography books off my shelves. As I looked through them, I realized that I've lost something I used to love about myself. I think I've lost lots of little things that I used to love about myself in the last 5 years, really. Have you?

And when I looked through my Francesca Woodman book, I remembered vividly looking at this photograph at an exhibition in Dublin and not only loving it, but being excited to buy film and shoot pictures all day long. Can you believe this photograph was taken in 1979?
Related Posts with Thumbnails