Wishing away

I had an ah-ha moment on the bus on the way home from work on Friday. I was sitting there, just wiped from my week's work, knowing that the weekend would bring little respite. And I as consoling myself by indulging in some harmless wishing, as those who know me will attest I am prone to doing.

I don't know why, but I always play the three wishes game on myself (does everyone?) and so there I was on the perfect Friday evening, crisp and blue and bright, wishing away for things don't have and that are unlikely to land in my, or anybody's lap.


And then I realized: I'm doing absolutely nothing to make these things happen. I'm wasting my time on people and things that suck the energy out of me. Then I have no energy left for the things I really want. And because that depresses me, I get stuck in a rut of instant gratification instead of pulling back and refocusing on the real goal.

The best part is I don't really have three wishes. I only really have two. So, I came home and mapped out some plans that I'm determined to stick to. And, you know, the spending fast is part of this whole process, because those little purchases that preoccupy me on a day-to-day basis are part of what distracts me from the things I really want and should focus on.

I've probably written posts similar to this before. This is a something I clearly struggle with and that I'll continue to struggle with. But somehow putting the words here makes me feel more accountable and determined, if that makes sense.

How do you stay motivated to stay on track with your long term goals?

Image by Cig Harvey
Related Posts with Thumbnails