Where we blog from: Sweet Sassafras

One day, I'll learn to sew. I haven't done it yet, because I suspect I'll suck at it. I imagine myself sitting in a heap on the living room floor, tears burning my eyes because I can't seem to master a seemingly simple task. Not a very good beginning attitude, I know.

But, I am extremely fascinated by people who have mastered this craft and Sarai is one of those people. Just looking at her blog and pattern shop makes me want to put aside my fears and try. Sweet Sassafras is a 2009 discovery for me and has fast become one of my most regular haunts.

And what is it about Portland? Do you have to pass a beautiful / talented / lovely person test to move there? If so, Sarai definitely passed that test with flying colours! This is where Sarai blogs from and what she has to say about it...



My husband and I recently moved to Portland, OR, so our workspace is still a bit of a work in progress, but I love it. We both work from home and share an office, which works out perfectly in terms of getting enough human contact. He spends his days talking to clients and building websites, I spend mine designing, blogging, and running my sewing pattern line, Colette Patterns.


Organization does not come naturally to me, so I really make an effort to keep things neat around my desk. The drawers are filled with shipping supplies, the magazine files with vintage magazines and my favorite imports, so I can pull them out whenever I need a little inspirational kick. I like having my sewing and needlework books nearby for the same reason.


Inspiration is never a problem for me when it comes to blogging, but finding the space, time, and getting my thoughts organized is the bigger challenge, so maybe that's why I have trouble writing when things feel too chaotic in my environment.

10 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! I have been meaning to get my hands on several of those magazine/file holders-that would make my desk (and life!) so much less hectic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lucky enough to recently meet Sarai and I have to say that she is a very lovely person. Her home is absolutely adorable too, Loved this one a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering the very same thing about people who live in Portland!! good looking, stylish, creative and organized.... right?

    I adore the office. It is about the most perfect office..spacious, organized, well thought out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so beautiful and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty -- and looks so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbara in HamiltonAugust 10, 2009 at 2:25 PM

    Jane, sewing is actually quite easy! Take a beginner's course and learn The Bishop Method; this is the foundation for everything in sewing. Thereafter, you could get your confidence up by doing some easier projects; Vogue Patterns have a huge amount of Very Easy designs. The hardest thing in sewing is choosing the best fabric and color, for which I know you have an innate ability. You would of course need the space and the equipment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I (still) love this idea for blog posts! SS is very cool, and I enjoy the look of those vintage books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is so beautiful. What a gorgeous space. I too, have wanted to learn to sew, I suppose I must put my mind to it and begin the learning process.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty, serene space. And that luscious kitty makes it all the more welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This space is absolutely lovely! So serene too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.