Book report: Brooklyn

Brooklyn: A Novel tells the story of Eilis an irish emigrant who moves to the US in the 1950's. Eilis' moments of homesickness and loss of her sense of belonging were so relatable for me. So much so, that I wove her story into my own and, while I read this book, kept dreaming about when I first arrived in Toronto from Dublin 6 years ago.

Colm Tóibín is a magnificent writer. I love especially the way he writes women (Mothers and Sons was a beautiful collection of short stories too). And I was deeply moved by Brooklyn. Throughout, I didn't know how it would end and, even more, I didn't know how I wanted it to end. The heroine's confusion truly became my own and there was no obvious right or wrong answer, which made this story real and poignant.


Related Posts with Thumbnails