Domino rant

I'm still thinking about Domino. Sad as I am for the individuals who work there and for its fans, I feel an indignant anger brewing. I'm fully aware of the role we bloggers have played in the demise of certain magazines. But, we don't have the might of established brands behind us. We are able to forge and grow communities in a manner that seems complex, but the model is still a relatively simple one; that of old-fashioned community-building.

The idea that a brand like could not become a major player in that community is unfathomable to me. That Conde Nast could not build and monetize a website, with their sales and marketing resources, access to writers, photographers, graphic artists, stylists etc. also seems ridiculous. Unknown individual bloggers have been able to crack this code with amazing success. So, why couldn't Domino continue to do so?

Or, is this an old fashioned snobbery that the print medium is superior to the web. Did they consider their website merely as a marketing device for their print edition? This seems wrong to me. Like many of you, I enjoy the experience of flipping through a magazine. But these days, my life is on my computer. And I have chosen the online medium for my blog, not simply because of its accessibility, but because I really believe in the web and what we all do here.

People are talking a lot about the recession, but magazines were starting to fold before the recession. The recession may be a catalyst, but I wonder if Conde Nast's inability to remain agile in a changing media landscape is what really lies at the heart of the matter.
Related Posts with Thumbnails