Recipe of the week: Red wine sorbet w/ crushed strawberries

It's ages since I shared a recipe. I've been pretty bland lately, not drawn to stodginess. But it's heating up here (as my pink neck will attest), so here's a little something flavorsome and cooling from my much-used River Cafe Cook Book Green (not to mention boozy... I'm still a Flanagan after all)


Serves 6
500g strawberries, hulled
4 tsp caster sugar (I use Splenda)

Sorbet
1 litre Valpolicella red wine
100g caster sugar (Splenda again)
10 grains coarsely ground white pepper
6 cloves
Grated zest of 2 washed oranges (no pith)

Put sorbet ingredients into a saucepan and boil to reduce by half. Cool then strain, discarding "bits". Freeze until half-frozen, stirring at intervals. Or use an ice-cream machine.

Mash strawberries with sugar and add to the sorbet. Return to freezer.
Related Posts with Thumbnails