Haberdasheries & hardware stores

Isn't haberdashery a great word? I love the very concept. I remember the haberdashery department in the old Dublin department stores like Clerys and Arnotts and even Brown Thomas. Of course, they're out of style now, since fewer people make or mend their own clothes and if they do, they'd rather shop at specialty sewing stores like Murphy Sheehy and Dublin Woolen Mills, thankfully, still around.

Hand-in-hand with haberdasheries (sometimes I interchange the two) are old fashioned hardware stores. Labour and Wait from the UK is a good example. Willow & Stone makes a good stab too. And in Canada, one can eek some decent stuff from Lee Valley.

Lately, I've found myself coveting these simple domestic objects: clothes horses, dish draining racks, enamel buckets and beautiful brooms. And I just can't find these products near me. But it seems odd to order them online; I really want stores like these physically around me.

Remodelista does a marvelous, jaw-dropping job of sourcing these kinds of products online (and much more). Want a post dedicated to laundry hampers or clothes horses? -This is your blog. And all with that sensible aesthetic: utilitarian chic rather than worked-over phony.

Imagine what fun it would be to run a haberdashery-come-hardware store? You'd get to call yourself a haberdasher (which is obviously epic). And it fits with the eco home in such a beautifully non-hokey established way. Or, am I the only one who romanticizes cleaning in this way?

(Last image of Murphy Sheehy from Annie White's gorgeous Dublin Flickr set...)
Related Posts with Thumbnails