City or country?

I haven't blogged about it, because I'm assuming all of us city folk at one time or another feel the same tension: A latent yearning to move to the countryside. This desire is especially magnified by real estate options in the city. Do I want to buy a condominium that's two-thirds the size of my rental, in a worse neighbourhood and yet double the monthly cost? Or... do I want to move to the country and live in something like this...


I really shouldn't torment myself, but when I can't sleep I surf MLS looking at country houses, imagining another life, a rangy Irish wolfhound, a garden and space for a darkroom. This house is for sale in the lovely town of Paris, Ontario. And it's in that perfect state of liveable, but with work to do.

I increasingly crave an otherness that's the opposite of how I live and what I do today. I always think of the Unbearable Lightness of Being (my favourite book and movie) and the beautiful life Tomas and Tereza had in the country and how a lot of the bullshit just went away when they left cities...

Seriously though, I keep vaguely thinking about working towards a countryside migration (a five-year-plan kindof deal). Has anybody out there done it? I want to know your story... Or do you think I'm simply bonkers and I'd miss Starbucks too much?
Related Posts with Thumbnails