Resolution check-in

People often say I'm disciplined, but I only feel it in some compartments: Definitely when it comes to work, cleaning, even about blogging. When I feel that external compulsion, there's really no stopping me. I'll over-deliver if anything. And I guess that's what they notice.

But there's a more-important discipline that I completely suck at. It mostly boils down to looking after myself. 2007 was a tough year for many reasons and my self-discipline hit new lows. And that's what a lot of my resolutions this year were about. They're about finding balance so I can do everything better and be happier. Sounds easy, right? Deceptively.

Last month when I looked at how I was doing the one thing I was neglecting was yoga. In February I started going again and feel much better. Being a huge skeptic, I'm the last person who's going to get evangelical about anything. But yoga works for me. And when I can't make it to a class I practice with this video, (her cues remind me of my favourite yoga instructor from Dublin.)

Also, thanks to my friend Natasha, I've been chatting with a naturopathic doctor who's made some recommendations to help my diet. Being vegetarian requires constant vigilance and I haven't been. So, I'm undergoing some dietary retraining. Plus, I'm using the massages my benefits entitle me to to help reduce stress.

When you start something new and have a plan, there's a kind of euphoria. New groceries to buy and write events in your calendar, yardsticks to measure yourself against. But this has to last beyond that initial thrill.
Related Posts with Thumbnails