Recipe of the week

Not that anybody noticed, but I missed a new recipe last week thanks to the NYC trip. And since macaroons don't exactly make a good dinner, I tried a second new recipe this weekend. I found it in Donna Hay magazine, a magazine that I'm increasingly loving, and modified it slightly for my vegetarianism.

This recipe is, quite simply, splendid... The only things in my freezer are ice and frozen peas. I adore those little spheres of juicy sweetness. Unfortunately, I was too keen to eat it and didn't snap a piccy, but it looks every bit as good as this photo. I'll definitely be making this recipe again.

Pea & bean orecchiette (serves 4):
- 400g / 14oz orecchiette pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- *6 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped (I omitted, added a shallot and went a little over on the other flavourings, to taste)
- Quarter cup white wine
- 2 cups pouring cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsps grated lemon rind
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1.5 cups broad (fava) beans, shelled
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mint leaves
- shaved parmesan to serve

Boil pasta to al dente, drain, keep warm in saucepan.
In a skillet, warm olive oil, cook garlic, (*anchovies / shallot) until soft.
Add wine and cook for 2-3 mins more or until reduced by half.
Add cream, lemon juice & rind, salt & pepper and cook for 3-4 mins, until cream thickens slightly.
Add pasta, beans, peas & mint and stir until well combined, allowing frozen peas to warm.
Serve with parmesan and black pepper to taste.
Related Posts with Thumbnails