At school, the nuns gave us a fairly good grounding in "home economics", which was basically housekeeping class, from sewing and knitting to cooking; a curriculum designed to turn us into good Irish housewives. By my generation, the class was pretty moot. We were all going to work and feminism had reigned supreme over traditional Catholic education. Phew!

But I do somewhat regret letting some of the things the nuns taught me slip away. Maybe it's my modern day, "we must do it all" mentality, or just a practical trust in my own skills versus the many rip-off retailers out there. Either way, I really wanting to learn to sew again. I need new drapes and am determined to take on what should be a very straight-forward project. Any avid sewers out there? Any pointers, book recommendations etc? (Image from Pottery Barn.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails