Investment wishlist

I find it easy to spend money on very expensive, but very portable, little things - probably because I've moved around so often. However, when it comes to buying larger scale investment pieces, I have a mental block. Now, as I seem to be settling down at last, it's become glaringly apparent that there's a discrepency between the accessories and the furniture.

2008 will be about buying far fewer individual items but tackling those larger scale items and replacing the objects I take in disdainfully every time I look around. Okay, so here's what I have now and the wishlist...


(1) Table-come-desk: Right now I have an IKEA table, which I redeemed somewhat by painting with Farrow & Ball paint. The wishlist is an Eero Saarinen tulip. I've looked at the notorious IKEA Docksta, but have decided I'd feel like a complete fraud if I did it. The image shown here is from Tom Sheerer.

(2) Chairs: Again, I have really bad IKEA chairs. I'd really like an upholstered armchair that would be comfortable for dining, working and pull around as extra seating when I have guests over (I mostly entertain around the coffee table). If I stuck with the clean-lined Parsons, I'd find an interesting fabric for it. Shown here: Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, Bolier, Restoration Hardware

(3) Bed: My bed itself is a decent Obusforme, but I bought it on a budget when I landed and ultimately would prefer something plusher. As for the bedstead, I just got that horrible metal frame they sell with the bed because I knew I would never cheap out on a bedstead. The dream is this French cane bed I've put on every wishlist I've ever blogged. The bed shown is from And So To Bed, a UK company.

(4) Rug: I have no rug again because it's not something I wanted to skimp on. Clearly, the rug I wish for is by Madeline Weinrib zig-zag in brown.

(5) Coffee table: Right now I have another IKEA piece that I painted. I loathe it. If I had a magnifcent rug, I'd opt for a clear coffee table like this. This one is from CB2, there's a similar version available at South Hill Home for Torontonians. The dream table is really this, but I'd really rather spend the money elsewhere.

Because I'm a renter, it's imperative that any investment pieces are as flexible as possible, classics that will translate to other spaces and ultimately that I'll find a place for when/if I buy. On the other hand, I'm not going to second-guess myself till kingdom come... Looking at what I've selected it all comes off as fairly classic, but it's with artwork and accents that loosen things up and I have both aplenty.
Related Posts with Thumbnails