Lemon is my very most favourite flavour, and nowhere done better than in this cake (with 3 types of icing!) I've only baked it once, but even reading the recipe makes me happy! This recipe is from Avoca.
- 225g butter, plus more for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour, sieved
- grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of half, plus more zest to decorate
Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas Mark 3. Butter a 23cm springform tin and line it with baking paper. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, alternating with the flour then add the lemon zest and juice. Place in the prepared tin and bake for 55-60 mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool on wire rack.
For the curd (instead, I would just buy a jar of best lemon curd):
- grated zest of 5-6 lemons
- 225g unsalted butter, diced
- 275 caster (fine) sugar
- 10 eggs lightly beaten
Put the lemon zest and juice, butter and sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir occasionally until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Stir in the eggs and leave for 40-60 mins, stirring occasionally. The curd is ready when it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat, leave to cool and then refridgerate.
For the lemon butter icing:
- 50g butter, softened
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Make the lemon butter icing by putting all the ingredients in a bowl and beating until light and fluffy.
For the ice glace:
- 275g icing sugar
- lemon juice (whatever is left from the half lemon, with water if necessary)
Make the glace icing by mixing the ingredients in a bowl
Assembling the cake:
- To decorate the cake, cut a thin layer off the top and whizz in a food processor to make crumbs, place the brubs on a tray in the oven to toast.
- Cut the cake into 3 equal discs and sandwish them with lemon curd. Refridgerate for an hour to firm up.
- Cover the side of the cake with the butter icing and then roll in the toasted crumbs.
- Cover the top of the cake with the glace icing and decorate with lemon zest.